IRISH STUDENT AWARDS
What are they?
The Fulbright Irish Student Awards are grants for Irish citizens, or E.U. citizens resident in ROI for 3+ years, to complete postgraduate research in the U.S. for a period of 4 months, up to 1 year.
Fulbright Student Awardees can go to the U.S. to:
- complete a Masters or PhD (degree-seeking award) at a U.S. institution.
- conduct research as part of a current postgraduate program in Ireland or the E.U.; visiting researcher awards.
Preference will be given to visiting researcher applicants in the latter stages of their PhDs.
What Awards are Available?
Fulbright General Awards Fulbright Irish Student Awards are open to all disciplines, except clinical medical studies. Please note that the only LL.M. applications that will be considered for this cycle are those for the LL.M. Awards listed on this page.
The following Fulbright Sponsored Student Awards are also available:
Fulbright-Creative Ireland Museum Fellowship Exploratorium Fulbright-Creative Ireland Museum Fellowship to complete short-term research at the Exploratorium, San Franscisco
Fulbright-Creative Ireland Fellowship Harry Ransom Center Fulbright-Creative Ireland Museum Fellowship to complete short-term research at the Harry Ransom Center, Austin, Texas
Fulbright-Creative Ireland Museum Fellowship Smithsonian Fulbright-Creative Ireland Museum Fellowship to complete short-term research at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC.
Fullbright-Enterprise Ireland Student Award The Fulbright-Enterprise Ireland Award in Innovation, including new technologies that will lead to job creation and increased exports
Fulbright EPA Award Fulbright-EPA Award in the areas of water, climate change, and sustainability. Proposals are particularly welcomed that will create linkages to government bodies or private companies that are working on environmental protection issues and will reach beyond academia
Fulbright GSI Award Fulbright-GSI Award in Geoscience This includes but is not limited to geological and marine mapping, geological processes, Earth observation, groundwater, raw materials and minerals, public perception of Earth resources.
Fulbright-Marine Institute Award Fulbright-Marine Institute Award in the area of Marine Science or Business. Applications in Marine Sensor Technologies and Observation Systems, Maritime Economics, Ocean Energy, Marine Biotechnology, Oceanography and Marine Modelling, Food Safety, and Ecosystem-based Management are particularly encouraged.
Fulbright-Teagasc Award Fulbright Teagasc Award in the areas of Agriculture, Forestry, or Food
- a monetary grant that is based on the location and duration of the award
- accident and emergency insurance
- cultural and professional programming. All successful applicants will be required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Dublin
- a requirement to submit reports
- and J-1 visa administration. Awardees MUST comply with THE TWO-YEAR HOME-COUNTRY RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT associated with the J-1 visa. Awardees will not be eligible for a U.S. residency or work visa until they have fulfilled the J-1 visa two-year home residency requirement.
Please see the FAQs for more information.
Watch our webinar on 2017-2018 Fulbright Irish Awards.
How to Apply?
A Fulbright Irish Student applicant must:
- be an Irish citizen, or E.U. citizen living in ROI for the past 3+ years
- be a current or prospective postgraduate student with a minimum 2.1 (See FAQs)
- not be a dual U.S.-Irish citizen, green card holder, or currently living in the U.S.
- not already have extensive experience of studying or living in the U.S.
In addition, applicants must demonstrate academic and personal excellence, a strong rationale for going to the U.S., a robust program of study or research, strong leadership skills or potential, and an understanding and commitment to the ethos of being a Fulbrighter.
Please note that a number of sponsored awards have more specific eligibility criteria than the above, see the relevant sponsored award flyer for further details.
If you meet the criteria, please email email@example.com to indicate your interest in applying as soon as the application period opens.
In your email please state:
- Your full name
- Area of study or research
- Home Institution
- Where you intend to study or research
- How long you intend to research or study in the U.S. The allowable period for students is 4 months / 1 semester, up to 1 year
We will then issue you the link to the online application system (known as Embark) and the Irish instructions for application. Please note that you will not receive these before 31st August 2017.
Fulbright Campus Ambassadors are available to assist Fulbright applicants on-campus at 17 Higher Education Institutions around Ireland, find out more about Ambassadors here.
The 2018-2019 Irish Awards Application period is now open with a deadline of 4pm on 31st October 2017.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications earlier than the deadline so they can be checked for completeness and any issues rectified before the deadline.
If all required materials are not in by the deadline your application will be disqualified.