Fulbright Irish awards
The Fulbright Awards provide grants for Irish citizens, and E.U. citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland for 5+ years, to research, study, or lecture in the USA.
There are five types of Fulbright grants available to Irish and E.U. citizens:
- Fulbright Irish Student Awards to conduct postgraduate research / enrol in postgraduate degree programs in the U.S.
- Fulbright Irish FLTA Awards to teach the Irish language in the U.S.
- Fulbright Irish Scholar Awards for academic or professional research / lecturing in the U.S.
- Fulbright Irish TechImpact Awards to conduct academic or professional research in the U.S.
- Fulbright Irish Schuman Awards for graduate & postgraduate study, research & lecturing in the U.S.
Our Fulbright Campus Ambassadors can offer advice to applicants.
The Commission also provides non-Fulbright grants for undergraduate students to travel to the U.S.
- Summer Institutes for European Student Leaders for undergraduate students
Fulbright Irish Awards Application Process
There are four stages to the Fulbright Irish Student and Scholar Award Application process:
- Pre-screen staff review: Immediately after the application deadline, all applications are checked for completeness, eligibility and discipline areas by Fulbright staff.
- Review: Each application is assigned to three Reviewers based on discipline fit. Application review will comprise of average scores, recommendation and comments. This panel evaluates applications for Academic Achievement To-date, Project Statement (60%), Requirement to be US Based and Fulbright fit (leadership and cultural engagement) (40%). A minimum threshold will be established based on standard of applications each cycle.
- Interviews: The Interview shortlist is compiled by based on review panel scores. The interview panel interviews each candidate for approximately 25 mins. This panel evaluates applications for their project statement (explained in a non-expert manner), academic achievement to-date'(40%), applicants 'Fulbright Fit' (cultural engagement and Leadership and Impact (60%). Final recommendations will be made by the Interview panel based on Interview scores and, where relevant Review comments or scores.
- Final Selection: Principle and alternate candidates are chosen by the Commission Awards Committee after review of recommendations, scores and comments compiled by the interview panel. This may also include other data gathered at the review stage of the selection Commission Board approves or adjusts recommendations. U.S. Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board make final approval.
PLEASE NOTE: The Fulbright Commission will share with you, upon written request, feedback on your selection or non-selection. The cut-off point for 2022-23 feedback requests is April 30th 2022.