Fulbright Irish Student Awards
What Are They?
The Fulbright Irish Student Awards are grants for Irish citizens, or E.U. citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland for three or more years, to complete postgraduate research in the United States for a period of 4 months / 1 semester, up to 1 year.
Fulbright Student Awardees can go to the United States to:
- complete a Masters or PhD (degree-seeking award) at a U.S. institution.
- conduct research as part of a current postgraduate program in Ireland or the E.U.; visiting researcher awards.
Preference will be given to visiting researcher applicants in the latter stages of their PhDs.
- a monetary grant that is based on the type (visiting researcher or degree-seeking), location and duration of the award
- accident and emergency insurance
- cultural and professional programming. All successful applicants will be required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Dublin
- a requirement to submit reports
- and J-1 visa administration. Awardees MUST comply with THE TWO-YEAR HOME-COUNTRY RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT associated with the J-1 visa. Awardees will not be eligible for a U.S. residency or work visa until they have fulfilled the J-1 visa two-year home residency requirement
Please see the FAQs for more information.
Watch our webinar on 2017-2018 Fulbright Irish Awards.
What Awards are Available?
*Please note that all 2018-2019 Award details will be updated by 31st August 2017.
Fulbright General Student Awards are open to all disciplines, except clinical medical studies
Fulbright Sponsored Students Awards:
Fulbright-Enterprise Ireland Award in Innovation, including new technologies that will lead to job creation and increased exports
Fulbright-EPA Award in the areas of water, climate change, and sustainability. Proposals are particularly welcomed that will create linkages to government bodies or private companies that are working on environmental protection issues and will reach beyond academia
Fulbright-GSI Award in Geoscience, includes but is not limited to geological & marine mapping, geological processes, Earth observation, groundwater, raw materials & minerals, and public perception of Earth resources
Fulbright-Marine Institute Award in the area of Marine Science or Business. Applications in Marine Sensor Technologies and Observation Systems, Maritime Economics, Ocean Energy, Marine Biotechnology, Oceanography and Marine Modelling, Food Safety, and Ecosystem-based Management are particularly encouraged
Fulbright-NUI Visiting Researcher Award for a prospective PhD candidate or a candidate registered on a doctoral programme with an honours bachelor or master’s degree from an NUI Constituent University or other NUI member institution
Fulbright-Teagasc Award in the areas of Agriculture, Forestry, or Food
Fulbright-Penn Law Student LL.M. Award entitles the awardee to a $25,000 grant from the University of Pennsylvania for its LL.M. program
Fulbright Student LL.M Award at the Indiana University Maurer School of Law A $25,000 grant from Indiana University for its LL.M. program (approximately 50% tuition).
Fulbright-University of Notre Dame LL.M. Award in International Human Rights Law entitles the awardee to a 50% tuition waiver from the University of Notre Dame
How To Apply?
Fulbright Irish Student applicants must:
- be an Irish citizen, or an E.U. citizen living in the Republic of Ireland for the past three years
- be a current or prospective postgraduate student with a minimum 2.1 (See FAQs)
- not be a dual U.S.-Irish citizen, green card holder, or currently living in the U.S.
- not already have extensive experience of studying or living in the U.S.
In addition, applicants must demonstrate academic and personal excellence, a strong rationale for going to the United States, a robust program of study or research, strong leadership skills or potential, and an understanding and commitment to the ethos of being a Fulbrighter.
If you meet the above criteria, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest in applying as soon as the application period opens.
In your email please state:
- Your full name
- Area of study or research
- Home Institution
- Where you intend to study or research
- How long you intend to research or study in the U.S. The allowable period for students is 4 months / 1 semester, up to 1 year
We will then issue you the link to the online application system (known as Embark) and the Irish instructions for application.
What is the Deadline?
The Application Period for 2017-2018 Awards is now closed. The Application period for 2018-2019 Awards will open in August 2017.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications earlier than the deadline so they can be checked for completeness and any issues rectified before the deadline.
If all required materials are not in by the deadline your application will be disqualified.