U.S. Gaeltacht Awards
What are they?
The Summer Gaeltacht Awards are grants to U.S. citizens who are Irish Language learners or teachers in the U.S. to spend 2-6 weeks studying the Irish language in the Gaeltacht regions of Ireland. Please note that this is not a Fulbright Award, but a grant from the Ireland-United States Commission for Educational Exchange.
The grants are sponsored by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, the National Lottery of Ireland, and the Ireland-United States Commission for Educational Exchange.
The grant (maximum value €2,395.00) covers tuition / fees, room (based on sharing) and board. N.B. All successful applicants must pay their own travel and living costs.
Applicants must be:
- US citizens or naturalised US citizens currently living / working in the U.S
- Enrolled in Irish language courses in the U.S. and/or have completed at least one semester of Irish language instruction (subject to approval of suitability to courses by Commission) or have been teaching the Irish language in the U.S. for at least one semester
- Be able to participate in the program in its entirety (two to six weeks in the Gaeltacht)
Note: Students and teachers associated with the following institutions should contact their institution / Fulbright FLTA for details of the application process:
- Catholic University of America, Washington D.C.
2. Daltaí Na Gaeilge
3. Drew University, NJ
4. Elms College, Chicopee, MA
5. Lehman College, CUNY
6. New York University, NY
7. University of Connecticut, CT
8. The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana
9. University of Notre Dame, Indiana
10. University of St. Thomas, Minnesota
11. University of St. Thomas, Texas
12. University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
13. Villanova University, PA
14. Idaho State University, Idaho
15. Davidson Community College, NC
Preference will be given to applicants who:
• Are currently enrolled on a for-credit course in a recognized U.S. higher education institution as part of their undergraduate or postgraduate studies
• Have not participated on a Gaeltacht / Irish Language course in Ireland before
How to Apply?
If you meet the criteria and wish to apply please:
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest (emails will be accepted in English or Irish). In your email please state:
- Your full name
- Home institution / Address
- Irish language course of interest (if chosen)
- 1-2 lines detailing your studying/teaching of Irish
2. Then complete the following:
- Read the Gaeltacht Summer Awards 2018 US General Guidelines carefully
- Complete the Gaeltacht Summer Awards 2018 Application and forward to email@example.com by 5pm (GMT) 28th February 2018
- Send Transcripts (for currently enrolled students) or CV (at large candidates / teachers) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm (GMT), 28 February 2018
- Reference Form- instruct your referee to complete the Gaeltacht Summer Awards 2018 Reference Form and send it directly to email@example.com by 5pm (GMT) 28 February 2018 (the applicant should not send this form to the Commission, it must be sent by the referee directly).
If you are enrolled in one of the 15 schools listed in the 'Grant Information' tab, please apply directly to your Irish language professor/Fulbright FLTA. This application will be conducted internally in the school.
Note: All applicants must also secure admission to one of the Irish Language Courses listed below separately to this award application.
If you are successful, your final registration and payment of your tuition and accommodation costs will be paid directly by the Commission to your Gaeltacht institution. Travel to/from Ireland will not be covered by the Commission.
Irish Language Courses
-Please click on your course of choice for more information
Ionad Foghlama Chléire*, Carraig an Éisc, Cape Clear Island, An Sciobairín, Co. Cork
Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta, (dianchúrsaí) An Cheathrú Rua, Co. Galway- 1-2 week course only
National University of Ireland, Galway, International Summer School, Adult & Continuing Education Office, National University of Ireland, Galway, Co. Galway-1 Month Intensive course, An Cheathrú Rua, Co.Galway
FEICIM, Inis Oírr, Oileán Árainn (Aran Islands), Co. Galway
Feileastram Teo, An Portán, Dunquin, Co. Kerry
Oidhreacht Chorca Dhuibhne, Baile an Fheirtéaraigh, Tralee, Co. Kerry
UMontana_Study Abroad 2016, University of Montana, Baile an Fheirtéaraigh , Tralee, Co. Kerry (applicants from any U.S. university may apply)
Irish Studies Summer School, Magee, University of Ulster
WATERFORD – New courses available!
Coláiste na Rinne, Rinn Ó gCuanach, Dún Garbhán, Co. Phort Láirge
*If you are interested in these courses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The application period for the Gaeltacht Summer Awards 2018 is open from 9th January 2018 with a deadline of 28th February 2018.