Fulbright Program in Ireland
The Fulbright Program in Ireland was established in 1957 and was initially administered by An Bord Scoiláireachtaí Cómhalairte (The Scholarship Exchange Board).
In 1988 a bilateral agreement was signed between Ireland and the U.S. and in 1991 the Ireland-United States Commission for Educational Exchange (The Fulbright Commission) was established.
The Fulbright Commission in Ireland annually awards grants for Irish citizens to study, research, or teach in the U.S. and for Americans to do the same in Ireland. Since its formation over 2,000 postgraduate students, scholars, professionals, and teachers have participated in the program between the U.S. and Ireland.
The Fulbright Commission in Ireland is a bilateral partnership supported by the U.S. Department of State and the Irish Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs. It is also a registered charity. Its funding is derived from Irish and U.S. governments, higher education institutions, public agencies, organizations and donations. A copy of the Commission’s Service Level Agreement with the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural & Gaeltacht Affairs for 2014-2017 Irish language awards & activities can be found here.
The Fulbright Commission in Ireland is governed by an eight-person Board and has five staff members.